Sunday, April 5, 2015

How Do I Cope? (without medication)

How do you cope without medication? I think we could answer this by removing the "without medication" part of that question. Seriously, how do you cope? Life can be so hard and there are 24 hours in a day. That's 8,760 hours in a year. That is A LOT of time to fill. How in the world do we do it and survive? Medication is unbelievably helpful, and when it is working maybe we don't need other strategies as much to help us through the day. But medication also takes about 30 seconds to put in your mouth and swallow. That's still 8,583 hours to fill each year. Eek.

There's lots of textbook answers.

One being exercise. I've noticed in later years that they're moving away from the term "exercise". I appreciate that. No one likes to exercise. ESPECIALLY when getting out of bed is too much to handle. The word I notice they're using is "moving". That's a lot better already. If you can move, you can help yourself. Take a walk up and down the stairs a few times. Good job. Go get your mail. Sweep your floor. Just move. It doesn't have to be a lot, just a little. There is so much study and correlation between simply moving and the dopamine levels in your brain.

Eat healthy. Sometimes I'm amazed at the difference this can make. When you don't feel good sometimes a vegetable tastes SO good. Our bodies and our minds are one. What you feed your physical body you also feed your mind. Take care of yourself. Especially when you're depressed.

Get some Vitamin D. Sometimes I just open my window and sit looking out. But get some sun in you. And if it's winter or simply bad weather, take some Vitamin D supplements. Invest in an ultraviolet lamp. My aunt gave me one years ago and it truly does make a difference. You don't even have to do anything, just flip a switch and sit where it's in your peripheral vision somewhere.

We could go on with some more, but I think we all know the textbook answers, that's why they're textbook. Here's some other ideas I have.

I learned something for my anxiety many years ago that really actually works. It's called ice dunking and you're supposed to do it with your face, and it's just what it sounds like. Get a big bowl of ice water and dunk your face into it! They say for 30 seconds, or as long as you can. I don't go full throttle on it though. For one, it's too much effort for me. And another is my intense fear of not being able to breathe. However I've adapted it to myself and simply get a couple of ice cubes and squeeze them in my hands for as long and hard as I can. If it's snowing go outside barefoot. All you're doing is rapidly changing your body temperature and slowing you down. I'm always surprised every time I do this and it works so well. It doesn't work with depression, as with depression you're already moving at a much slower than normal pace. But when the anxiety is high and attacks seem imminent, this actually is a good idea. Somebody please do full on face dunking and tell me what it's like. Thanks. :-)

I also make lists. A lot of them. I like to make pro/con lists. And one thing I've found helpful is to make a pro/con list of the opposite of what my original problem was. For example: Say my problem is having to clean the bathroom. So I make a pro/con list on cleaning the bathroom. Then I make another pro/con list on NOT cleaning the bathroom. Are there's pros to not cleaning the bathroom? Absolutely. I won't have to clean it the bathroom because that's gross. But there are also cons to not cleaning the bathroom. By doing this you can see your problem written out, with pros and cons of each and every side of the issue. It doesn't even have to be a physical dilemna. I've made pro/con lists about people I'm dating, or being angry at someone etc. It can be anything you want it to be.

I also make to do lists. Or my cousin taught me the three day to do list. So you don't get overwhelmed, don't go past three days. Things can wait. Make your list realistic. This one is hard for me still because I'm a perfectionist, in that I'm all or nothing. I clean my entire room, baseboards and all or I don't clean anything. It's extremely hard for me to let myself take it in small pieces. Ok, I'll take out the trash today, then I'll be done. If it's too much or too overwhelming you'll likely do none of it. So make a list, and cross things off as you go. It is true and I don't know why, but it sure feels good to cross things off a list!

I also have things I enjoy doing ready and handy. I have a DVD in the DVD player and the remotes on the stand by the chair all ready to go. Make it as easy for yourself as possible while you feel good. Your depressed self will thank you for it later. I have a Sudoku book with a pencil in it already on my table. I have a book I'm reading in the same spot. My art supplies are all out on my table and easily accessible. I've tried to keep things in either open boxes or clear containers so I can see easily and clearly what I have and what I can do. I keep my bed and my chair clear of clutter so I can simply just sit quickly if I need to. These are things I do to help myself distract my mind as quickly as possibly when I start to feel so horrible.

Don't ever underestimate the value of sleep. Sure there can be too much or too little, and if it's a chronic problem it needs to be looked at by a professional. But sleep, a nap, can also be a coping strategy. It's better to sleep it off and wake up somewhat anew than it is to be in crisis and make anxious decisions.

When I'm feeling depressed I like to remind myself of things I do like to do. Especially when I can't do them, because sometimes you just can't and sitting truly is your best option and the only thing you can do. I like to remind myself I like to paint. I like to look at pieces I've done and remember that when I feel better I can do that again even if I can't right now. I like to remind myself I love the water, even if I can't leave the house to go down to it. I can still love it. I remind myself I like to drink tea, even if making it is too much. Just remind yourself that there ARE things you enjoy and things you're good at. Because when you're in the depths of depression sometimes it's truly impossible to even remember that you like to do anything at all. And when you do feel better, do them. Make good memories and good associations with feeling well.

Please remember that you're never alone. There are times that none of these work. Depression has an amazing way of gripping you tightly by the neck and not letting your breathe. Please know you can ALWAYS, always call a crisis clinic. You don't have to be suicidal, you don't have to feel at life's end crisis. Even if it's 3:00 in the morning and you're crying in bed and need someone to talk to. They are there. The suicide hotline is 1-800-273-TALK (8255). They are there 24/7 to help you and they are really good at giving you a reason to go on. I keep the number stored in my phone. You should too.

You are worth it. You are loved. My heart bursts with love for my fellow beings. If you don't believe anything else, believe I love you. I know it's hard. I know it's painful. I believe in you. I believe in what you can do. You are the universe, and you are powerful and amazing. And mostly, you are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment