My friend whose house Mr. Purrington is buried at told me about Feline Friday at the Humane Society, where all adult cats adoption fees are $30. So I started watching their website for available cats. One caught by eye, Burley. He was a domestic shorthair, basically a mutt. He was what I had hoped for. An adult, but young. He was two. He was black. I wanted to adopt a black cat because I know they aren't adopted as much as other cats, mainly due to peoples superstitions. And they don't photograph as well. Which is a true excuse people give. Burley's description said he was a gentle and loving cat, who needed a quiet home with someone who has a lot of patience to help Burley settle into his new home. I felt like I could give him what he needed. So I hoped so much that he'd still be available when Friday rolled around.
On Friday, January 11th, my friend and I went to the Humane Society right as soon as they opened. And Burley was still there! He came up to me immediately in his cage and rubbed his face on my hand. After filling out an adoption application I was able to meet Burley. He came to me and rubbed his little face all over my hands and arms and face. He purred and purred. I strongly felt like this was my new little buddy. I learned he'd been at the shelter since Dec 2nd. He came in as an unneutered stray. He'd been there over a month. That was way too long. It surprised me so much because he is so beautiful, with his glossy black fur and big green eyes. And he is the sweetest little guy. Very loving, just like they said. My friend explained that it can take awhile once the Humane Society decides an animal needs a home without children, like my Lord Midnight required. Anyway once we got everything signed and paid for and went to get Burley, who we'll call Lord Midnight from now on, hahaha, the shelter employee asked him if he was ready to go home and he literally nodded twice! It was so awesome. The worker just gasped and stared at Lord Midnight then me and said "did you see that?!" Oh, I saw. He'd been waiting for me.
He cried the whole 30 minutes home. He found a cupboard pretty quickly and hid for hours. I'd come talk to him and pet him every now and then. He finally came out and quickly found that under the bed was a good spot to be. Again, I'd go talk with him and just layed on the floor next to the bed for a very long time. Finally he came out and inched towards me. Then he let me touch him. He spent the rest of the evening under the bed, but he'd come out now when I layed down next to him and called for him.
I don't think it took very long for him to know how loved and wanted he is. He is not Mr. Purrington, I still struggle to realize that at times. And the hurt is huge still. But he is Lord Midnight, and exactly who he should be. He is super playful. He loves all his toys, and the curtains and the cupboards. He is so loving and has woken me up at night headbutting and rubbing his face on mine. And well as cute as that is... luckily he is slowly sleeping more through the night. Or at least he's letting me sleep more. Ha I honestly don't know which. I miss Mr. Purrington. Oh how I miss him. But I love this new little boy so much. And I am genuinely happy he's here with me.
Welcome home, Lord Midnight.



No comments:
Post a Comment