Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Mr. Purrington

Let's lighten the mood for a moment here shall we. Besides, this is my favorite subject ever- my cat! Oh Mr. Purrington. I love him so much. Zach once told me "I've never seen you love anyone or anything like you love that cat." He called P Man my soul mate in cat form.

I remember when I first knew I needed a cat, about 2 1/2 years ago. I knew exactly what kind of cat I wanted. I wanted a Russian Blue, because they're excellent small apartment cats with a good mellow yet playful temperament, and they don't shed. They're said to be hypoallergenic cats. I'm not allergic to begin with so I don't really know.

I saw an ad on Craigslist the very next day for a free Russian Blue! One year old male, neutered with shots up to date. Apparently the owner's other cat wouldn't stop fighting with Mr. P. I was at work, but text her and asked if I could have the cat. She said someone else was coming to look at him, but if the lady didn't want him, I could have him. I admit my heart fell a bit. I was sure the other lady would take him. Well later that day she text me back saying the cat ran and hid when the prospective owner came and she didn't want to wait for him to come out, so he was all mine! I was SO excited! I like to think he was waiting for me.

I bought all his supplies before I picked him up. I didn't like to think it might not work out. That evening I drove up by the Capitol and picked him up! He was waiting for me in his carrier, very scared and shaking. I loved him instantly. I talked to him the whole way home, about 20 minutes. He cried a little. I noticed how green his eyes were. Like emeralds. They were beautiful. I brought him inside and he explored a bit. Then he rubbed himself against me, and we've been inseparable since. I've carried him from Southern Utah to the coast of Washington. Through four moves and many a pit stop along the way. He's never had a hard time adjusting. He's just always by my side. He's my best friend.

I mean it when I say he has never left my side. That night last September when I was so terribly depressed, and he layed down on my pillow with me and put his paw on my shoulder, I looked at him and knew he knew what was going on. I told him that even, and he just looked at me, never moving his paw and never leaving my side all that night. He knew something was terribly wrong. When I got home the next night, and for several days after, he meticulously followed me around and wouldn't let me out of his sight.

He has been my companion through highs and lows, laughter and tears. I've told him dark secrets and he's seen some difficult things. He loves anyway. I am almost certain if it were not for my P Man I would not be here still. When all hope was lost, he and he alone gave me reason to go on. I couldn't leave Mr. Purrington. No one else could love him like I do. He wouldn't understand what had happened, where I'd gone. Only that I had disappeared. I couldn't do that to him. I love him more than life itself. I know what that term means now.

Yeah, he's annoying. He whines and moans when he doesn't get his way. He's kind of clumsy and his claws are mighty sharp. He thinks a half full food bowl is grounds for starvation. No matter the size of the bed I sleep on, he somehow occupies half of it. But wow. I wouldn't trade his love and companionship for anything in the world. We play, we talk, we go on adventures. He is full of life and love and living, and I love him forever for that.

Even when he eats my pet fish.

:-)

He was just THRILLED to take a selfie with me at the ocean.  

My friend
<3





No comments:

Post a Comment