Saturday, September 29, 2018

The First ECT

I had my first ECT treatment on Monday, September 24th. I was so scared. But it was fine. The nurse woke me up and took my vitals at 6am. Then the OR people came around 7:10am. I went to pre-op where I put on a hair net and a gown and they prepped my IV and got vitals. The nurses were super nice and helpful. About 8:05am they wheeled me into the OR. I talked to the anesthesiologist and the ECT doctor. The anesthesiologist talked to me about going to sleep and that he'd be monitoring me the whole time. He was really nice. And he let me keep my lip ring in. Hahaha. The nurse prepped me some more and then the anesthesiologist put an oxygen mask on me. That's all I remember of the OR.

The next thing I remember is hearing people around me talking. It was very disorienting. I thought I was still in the OR and that I hadn't fallen asleep yet and I was awake but they didn't know and I would feel the procedure. I was very scared. I couldn't open my eyes or move to tell them I was awake. That lasted what felt like forever, but was probably just a few moments. Then I head someone say my name. I was able to move my head in acknowledgment. My eyes fluttered a bit. I felt very groggy. She asked me if I knew where I was. I said the OR. She said not anymore, I was in recovery. Wow! I said I'm done and she said you're done. I said that was fast. She asked me what hospital I was in and what yeah it was. I knew both questions. My eyes were open by this time but I still couldn't move well. She said everything looked great and I was ready to go back to the unit. I carefully got up and a nurse helped me into a wheelchair and wheeled me back to the unit. I was a little unsteady when I stood up, but was able to walk to the table and eat breakfast. Oh, I wanted to remember that as I was waking up I felt something in my mouth and started gagging. The nurse quickly removed whatever it was.

Anyway. I ate breakfast fine. My neck was really sore and my jaw was sore too. I layed down after breakfast but was unable to sleep. Around 10:30am (I got back to the unit at 9am) I started feeling very nauseous. I had to leave the 11am group at 11:15am and go back downstairs. The nurse gave me some ice chips and I walked the hall for about 20 minutes. She said it was likely a reaction to the anesthesia. She said when they put you to sleep, they also paralyze you so you don't shake during the seizure, and that causes your insides, digestive system etc to slow down so the breakfast was just sitting there not moving through and causing the nausea. SO walking around helped move it around and I started feeling better. Later that day my stomach was still a little upset and I was still sore, but it was manageable. I felt sad when I got back to my room. And a lot of shame. It surproised me to feel this way. It didn't last overly long though. Oh, at breakfast this sweet old man made me coffee and another patient friend wrote a sweet note that was taped to my door.

So. All in all it was a good experience. My anxiety around it has been greatly reduced now that I've been through it once and know what to expect. So go me.

No comments:

Post a Comment