I remember hearing about a man who was receiving some kind of service, I believe in a bank, when after quite awhile it was discovered that he and the teller had a common good friend. Then he said, "It's a good thing I was nice to her (the teller)." That's always bothered me. Why did there need to be a condition placed on being nice to another human being? Why not be nice because being nice is the right thing to do? No one likes a slow line. No one likes having unanswered questions. And no one likes another human being to be rude to them when they're just trying to do the best they can. I learned from that experience to always treat people above and beyond how I would expect to be treated, so in the end everyone wins. I feel better. And I've treated my fellow human beings with kindness, whether things were going my way or not. I know I did what I could to brighten someone's day. Or at least not make it worse. No conditions placed. No conditions needed.
I'm in a melancholy mood right now. I feel low, I think it's from coming off the Olanzapine. I don't feel bad. I feel a little sad, mostly just empty. I have no motivation. The smallest tasks are monumental in size. I take it easy, small baby steps. I moved from the bed to the couch. But I got out of bed, so that's a success. Yesterday I did my dishes. That was a huge success. This is what it is to be depressed, as I've talked about before. No tears, no panic, no harmful thoughts, no... nothing. Just existing. But I have to count existing as a success. And it's good that I can see that right now, that is progress. I just have a familiar melancholy ache in my heart right now.
I think a lot about the hospital, and my time there. That was a turning point in my life. People there just got it. I didn't have to explain feeling low, they just understood. I didn't feel alone there, though I was all alone. It was nice to be accepted as is. It was good to finally realize I wasn't alone in the battle. That people understood and cared and tried to make things better. And no one thought I was out of my mind. I'm grateful for my time at Cherry Hill.
It was supposed to rain today. Instead it is a beautiful, sunshiney day. A bit windy, but not a dark cloud in sight. I'm grateful for the sunshine. It reminds me that things get better.
And that life can shine again.

You describe the melancholy so well, that "just empty" feeling. Sad enough to be called sad but not sad enough that it's a crisis or a deep depressive moment... it's so weird, like getting the 'you' of yourself scooped out like a pumpkin but your top doesn't have to be cut off. Yeah. Okay. That got weird. Basically, well written and I feel ya. ;)
ReplyDeleteBed to couch is a big step and the dishes! Wow! I'm still struggling with the dishes myself. Haven't vacuumed in weeks. That's my goal for today. We'll see what happens. Might just sit here until my husband get home, in all honesty!
Surviving is thriving is one of my mantras :) You are welcome to it if it suits you as well!