Sunday, September 6, 2015

Crisis Coping And Recovery Plan

One of the most helpful things for me inside the hospital was to come up with a Crisis Coping And Recovery Plan. It's just basically a map of healthy coping mechanisms, early warning signs of a crisis, and what to do if a crisis does occur. It's all written in small pamphlet form so it's easily attainable and easy to follow. It also contains important phone numbers, both doctors and support system. The plan can be used for any type of health concern.

It starts by reminding yourself to take care of your body, mind, and spirit, and lists several things you can do and use to help you feel better. Things such as:

• Eating healthy foods
• Drinking plenty of water
• Getting to bed at a regular time
• Exercising
• Doing a relaxation technique
• Writing in my journal
• Talking to a friend on the telephone
• Taking medications as prescribed
• Making times for hobbies/interests
• Avoiding alcohol and drugs

I added my own coping mechanisms as well:

• Play with P Man
• Make a bracelet
• Read
• Color
• Watch a movie

The plans talks about the importance of speaking kindly to yourself. It gives these suggestions:

• Today is a new day
• I deserve to feel better
• I am more than my mental illness

I added:

• I am worthwhile
• I have value
• It's ok to ask for help

Then the plan lists some positive affirmations such as:

• I am a kind, compassionate, and gentle person
• I like who I have become

I added:

• I am a good person
• I am strong
• I'm doing my best
• I'm trying

The next section is on early warning signs. I found this so incredibly helpful. I'd never realized before how many warning signs I experience that can alert me to crisis. The pamphlet says that in spite of your best efforts to take care if yourself, you can experience early warning signs. These may include:

• Anxiety
• Lack of motivation
• Decreased self care
• Avoiding others or isolating
• Distorted thinking

I added, specific to me:

• Paranoia
• Too much sleep
• Agitation
• Lack of concentration

It says if you notice these signs and symptoms to take action! To take care of yourself. Some examples are:

• Deep breathing
• Follow a healthy routine
• Listen to music
• Asking for help from a counselor or therapist
• Call a supportive friend
• Ensure that medications are taken as prescribed

I added:

• Call warm line (877-500-9276)
• Take a walk
• Write about it
• Give a time limit
• Positive self talk
• Drink water

Then there's the What Next section. Despite all our good efforts and intentions, crisis just happens sometimes. The pamphlet says, "If your symptoms become very uncomfortable, serious, or even dangerous, it is necessary to take immediate action to prevent a crisis. Make a plan that you think will help reduce your symptoms. This plan now needs to be very direcr, with few choices and with very clear instructions." Ideas include:

1. Call a doctor, or health care professional, ask for help, and follow their instructions
2. Call and talk to your support network
3. Schedule a consultation or exam with a health care provider
4. Make sure to do everything in the first part of your Prevention and Recovery Plan

I added:

• Call crisis line
• Take emergency meds
• Go to ER
• Go somewhere public

I'm so grateful for this plan. It's short enough and to the point enough that I can easily remember it and refer to it on a daily basis.

Remember, as always, that you're worth it. You're worth the effort and the fight, and you are loved beyond imagine.





1 comment:

  1. Nicely done. This encourages me to get back to working on my own plan as well! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete