Colleen had me make a treasure box this last week. I was to fill it with a treasure for each of the five senses. I keep it where I can see it and get to it with no obstacles, and in times of emotional distress I can get out my treasure box and soothe my five senses with my treasures to help regulate my emotions.
I had a nice box my cousin sent me awhile ago filled with tea that I painted silver and purple and painted on it a quote from How To Train Your Dragon 2, which is my favorite movie ever. The quote is when Stoick has died and Hiccup is struggling with the eulogy. His mother, Valka, comes up to him and tells him how small he was when he was born and how she was afraid he wouldn't make it. But that his father always believed and said he'd become the "strongest of them all. And he was right. You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon. This is who you are." This quote has touched me very, very deeply and holds such power for me and reminds me that I, too, have the heart of a chief and the soul of a dragon. So I painted that quote around my treasure box. I love it so much.
Inside my treasure box are my five senses treasures. For touch I used a smooth, shiny rock I held and rubbed as I was sitting watching the ocean one sunny day awhile ago. Rubbing that rock brings me back to that time of complete peace and comfort during a very distressful time in my life. Sight I put in a sand dollar, as I'll never forget the first time I found one in the sand and how incredibly happy I was. For sound I have a small ferry Christmas tree decoration I used. It reminds me of how much I love being on the ferry and hearing the water lapping against the boat as we sail. I put in a tea bag for taste. Tea is very comforting and soothing to me. For smell I used a crayon. I love the smell of crayons and it reminds me of all of art, and how much I love to create.
I'm happy to have done this little project. It was fun for me and I think it'll be a nice, quick go to when I'm feeling in distress. It's filled with things that calm my heart and that help me feel better. Maybe you can make a treasure box too! :-)




No comments:
Post a Comment