Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Kitsap Mental Health

I go to Kitsap Mental Health, or KMH. I was recommended them after a Friday all day ER visit, which I will write about another time. I was very skeptical of KMH. The social workers who saw me in the ER were from there, and I found them to be less than helpful. But, I had no where else to turn, so I reluctantly went for an intake early Monday morning. The clinician who did my intake, Jeff, was outstanding. He apologized for the ER, said it usually is a joke, and was so kind and empathetic towards me. My intake was about 90 minutes long. We talked about everything, from my childhood to the ER two days before. He's the one who diagnosed me as having Recurrent Major Depressive Disorder. He assigned me to a Case Manager, Gemma. I met with Gemma a few days later. She has been amazing. She's laughed with me, cried with me, and helped me though some really tough challenges, both external and internal. I also see Rosalie, a nurse practitioner. She also has laughed and cried and helped in ways no other could. There are things I don't care for there; there will be anywhere. But I really lucked out with everyone I've been assigned to. They don't just do their job, they are their job. And it shows. 

Kitsap Mental Health deals mostly with Medicaid patients. They do have a sliding scale for those who aren't able to be on Medicaid. I have Apple Health Insurance, the Obamacare insurance for Washington state. I haven't seen a bill for a single thing. I am unbelievably grateful to be able to have this insurance and that it allows me to finally, finally receive the help that I need free of charge. I would not be receiving help if it were left up to my own finances right now. I probably wouldn't even be here anymore.

Gemma is due with her first child in May, and she is leaving in April. She is not sure she'll return to work. She told me she has someone in mind, not a case manager but a full time therapist, that she wants to transfer me to. I'm struggling with this idea a bit. I know it has absolutely nothing to do with me, but I can't help but feel a sense of abandonment. I get to the outside human that can seem ridiculous. But to me it is not, and it is very real.

But for now, I will see in the next few weeks where this new adventure will take me. I've no doubt it'll be a struggle at first, but I trust Gemma to make a good choice on my behalf.

I know this country has a long way to go as far as mental health is concerned, believe me, but it has also come a long way and there are resources out there. I know they can seem overwhelming and the last thing you want to do when you feel so awful is to research and apply for and to new programs. Let me help you. It is worth it. These programs have saved my life and I am so grateful. Please find help, please. It is out there. Even a failed emergency room visit can result in miracles. Go. You are loved and you are worth it.


http://www.kitsapmentalhealth.org/

This is for Kitsap County in WA state, but resources like this exist in many other cities as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment